No longer have to register as a sex offender

Written by Brandon

I was charged with communication with a minor for immoral purposes through electronic text messaging back in 2009. I was charged with a gross misdemeanor and had to register as a sex offender for ten years. I no longer have to register as a sex offender. Can I travel to Canada, Mexico, and London since I no longer have to register? I no longer have to register as a sex offender, but it shows up on my background check as a gross misdemeanor. I want to travel and see the world.

6 thoughts on “No longer have to register as a sex offender

  1. System Administrator says:

    Congratulations on your removal from that inhumane list. That will open up a lot more opportunities for you to travel internationally, however, there will still be some places that won’t allow you to enter. Canada bars entry for anyone with a criminal record unless they apply for “Criminal Rehabilitation” through their government. That’s a viable option but you must wait at least 5 years from the completion of your sentence before applying. I believe the UK also bars anyone with a record from entering or transiting. Mexico might be an option, depending on whether you walk across or fly. All of Europe is open to you. Any country that doesn’t require you to have a visa (with some exceptions) should be open to you. Some countries, like Japan, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand will be inaccessible from the US directly, so you would have to hopscotch around to get there. The best thing you can do is check the entry requirements for any country you plan on visiting to see if having a criminal record bans you from entering. Do your homework and you will have lots of new and exciting places to enjoy!

    1. Tyrell80 says:

      I will be applying for a criminal rehabilitation to get into Canada Toronto, Quebec and Nova Scotia on my list. To get into Japan and Australia when you say I would have to hopscotch to get into the country meaning I would have to fly in from another country let’s say Paris or Kuwait City?

      1. System Administrator says:

        That’s tricky. Australia is almost definitely a no-go since all English-speaking countries share national defense information due to a long-held military treaty. Your passport would likely be flagged when it is scanned at the port of entry. Japan, on the other hand doesn’t share the same intelligence with the rest of the group. They will prevent you from boarding in the US 100% of the time, but I have heard of instances where people have entered successfully or would have except for some unforeseen event occurring, but they went there from other places and I don’t know their registration or passport status. I would make sure you have refundable “everything” and be prepared to be turned around if you try it.

    2. Stile Parso says:

      Does applying for criminal rehabilitation make it easier to get into any of the European countries? If so, are any country’s rehab programs both affordable and of fair quality? If both are yes, do you know which countries I might look into for that? I don’t care if it’s strictly European, so long as it’s not land-locked.

      1. System Administrator says:

        It might help to see that you’ve been “rehabilitated” if your background became scrutinized in another country. None of the EU countries, that I know of, have something like rehabilitation, or at least not for foreigners. Canada is the only country I know of that allows people to go through a process to grant them entrance.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.